June 2, 2020
It is with great joy that I am writing to you today regarding the plans for Grier School's 2020-2021 School year. This has been a very challenging and difficult time for everyone, and to be able to share this information with families is definitely the beginning of a positive new school year.
Grier School is on schedule to have our students (returning and new) on campus for the start of the fall semester, knowing that the safety and well-being of our school community is our first priority. Much research, consideration, and planning has gone in to developing the protocol and schedule for the 2020-2021 year. While, you will be receiving more information throughout the summer addressing new safety procedures for daily life at Grier School, I am happy to share with you this pertinent information about the start of the school year and our academic plan for meeting the needs of all students.
Returning to Campus Protocol:
- As we know, testing is an essential component in helping to and contain COVID-19, and Grier School is very proud to announce that we have joined forces with Contamination Source Identification (CSI), Juniata College, Dr. Regina Lamendella, PhD, and Dr. D. Holmes Morton, MD, pioneers in infectious diseases and genetics, in order to establish a certified testing routine for everyone on campus at the beginning of the school year and throughout the fall semester.
- All Students will also adhere to a temperature check routine starting two weeks prior to their return to Grier School, and continue with daily checks while at school.
- All Students must arrive on campus with documentation of a negative test result for COVID-19. This test will need to be dated no more than one week prior to their arrival date. (More information will be sent to families this summer).
- Upon arrival to Grier, all students will be tested immediately and temporarily housed in a safe location on campus until the results of the test are determined. (Results are available within 24-36 hours). Students with a second negative test result will be permitted to move in to their designated school dormitory.
- The community will adhere to social distancing protocols, wearing masks, and a strict cleaning and disinfecting routine throughout the campus and dormitories.
Having students arrive on campus at different times seems to be the best way to support the CDC guidelines for social distancing and for getting all back to Grier in the safest manner possible. In planning for the staggered returns, students may choose to participate in additional enrichment programs prior to the start of the school year. The cost for each of the specialized programs has been set at $1500 per week.
Enrichment Program Offerings for Students Prior to Opening:
ISOP-International Student Orientation Program- New international students have the opportunity to acclimate to Grier life both socially and academically.
Arrival Date: Saturday, August 15, 2020.
Program Dates: August 15-September 9, 2020.
Princeton Review SAT Prep and College Application Program -Returning students in Grades 11 or 12, wishing to participate in this intensive one-week program prior to taking the SAT test on Saturday, August 29, 2020. Students will work with college counselors on the application process the next week.
Arrival Date: Friday, August 21, 2020.
Program dates: August 24-September 4, 2020.
Grier School Dance Orientation Program -Any student wanting to participate in a two-week dance program. Beginner to advanced dancers are welcome.
Arrival Date: Monday, August 24, 2020.
Program dates: August 26-Spetember 9, 2020.
Grier School Riding Orientation Program -Any student wanting to participate in a two-week riding program. This is for intermediate and advanced riders.
Arrival Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
Program dates: Thursday, August 27-September 10, 2020.
Official Arrival Dates for Start of the School Year: Students may arrive on campus according to the following schedule:
- Sunday, September 6, 2020 - Boarding Students in Grade 12.
- Tuesday, September 8, 2020 - Boarding Students in Grade 11.
- Thursday, September 10, 2020 - Boarding Students in Grade 10.
- Friday, September 11, 2020 - All Day Students arrive on campus for testing.
- Saturday, September 12, 2020 - Boarding Students in Grades 7, 8, 9.
Grier School realizes how quickly things can change and while it is the plan for all to be on campus at the start of the school year, we recognize the need for considering alternative scenarios.
Virtual classes are an option for students unable to arrive on campus in the fall due to travel, health, VISA or other personal issues. If a student needs to follow a virtual schedule for a period of time, the student will have real time classes every day with her teachers and other classmates including electives such as art, psychology, computer science, and music lessons. This protocol allows for the student to return to school at any time throughout the semester without disruption to her academic and social progress. Please contact the admissions office for information regarding special TRB pricing associated with this plan.
Note: International students in different time zones will follow a real-time daily schedule designed to accommodate those students.
As I mentioned at the start of this letter, more information regarding the daily routines and the health and well-being protocols will be sent out later this summer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I look forward to having our students back on campus for the start of the 2020-2021 school year!
Gina Borst, M.Ed.
Head of School