Founded in 1975, the Grier Summer Riding Program, originally known as Allegheny Riding Camp, was our first summer program. Over the last 38 years, Grier Summer Riding has developed a strong tradition of being a Hunter/Jumper program. We have English and Western style riders.
At the Grier Summer Riding Program we welcome you to expand your equestrian horizons. We provide a personalized experience for every camper interested in riding.
- Lessons tailored for beginners, as well as, the seasoned competitive rider.
- Morning, late afternoon, and evening opportunities to ride up to 6 days per week.
- All instructors and camp horses are hand selected to ensure a quality learning environment for each rider.
- Rider assigned to horse for the entire session to enhance continuity and ease while facilitating growth and rider confidence.
- Small classes promote 1:1 interactions between student and instructors.
- Multiple indoor and outdoor lesson facilities.
- Private horses welcome but NOT required.
- On site shows hosted throughout the summer to provide all students with competition opportunities.
- End of camp on site exhibition for friends and family to attend.
- For beginner and intermediate level riders interested in showing while at camp, there will be a schooling show and on campus show opportunities. The schooling show will be open to any rider who can safely demonstrate the ability to walk and trot.
- Local show series opportunities for more advanced and competitive riders.
Grier Summer Riding teaches girls to realize their potential though horsemanship, friendship, and respect for animals. Campers can be at the barns and with the horses all day OR they can pick from a variety of other camp activities such as dance, theater, art, pottery, photography, pool games, creative writing, and MORE.
Riding campers should have the proper attire for riding, including an ASTM/SEI certified equestrian helmet. Jeans, T-shirts, and heavy shoes with heels, paddock boots or riding boots are perfect for lessons. We will provide each rider with a Grier Summer Polo Shirt for shows and exhibitions.