Grier Summer offers girls who love to sing, dance, and/or act opportunities to enhance and showcase their talents. Whether she wants to join an ensemble group in a Broadway show tune number or hopes to acquire a small or large speaking part in a dramatic production, the Grier Summer musical theatre program has a role for everyone. We encourage interested actresses, regardless of their native language or nationality, to join in the fun of our program and to learn and grow in the craft of theatre.
Music theatre experiences are offered during both 3 week camp sessions. Girls who attend the one week, Early Camp program will perform in a Cabaret style show. Girls who attend a three week session will be cast into our full length show.First three-week Session
- Play games aimed at improving acting skills.
- Sing numbers from Broadway shows
- Perform Select Scenes in both musical and nonmusical pieces
- Learn and execute choreography
- Perform in a final show that displays all the skills that you have learned over the course of the session.
Second three-week Session
- Be a part of a full scale musical production
- *Blocking scenes, reading & learning scripts, practicing choreography, and/or preparing music
- Campers experience all aspects of a show’s production as costuming, set design, and tech preparations are all done during the single camp session
- Intensive Musical Theatre campers will audition for a significant role in the summer production and will spend 3 of their 4 activity periods rehearsing.
- Rec campers who are interesting in trying to act or sing may audition for a minor or chorus role in the musical and will likely spend 1 or 2 of their activities in the theatre.
Musical Theatre classes are offered three out of the four activities periods held each weekday at Grier Summer. Campers, depending upon their interests and their role in the summer production, will spend portions of their day blocking scenes, reading & learning scripts, practicing choreography, and/or preparing music. Campers experience all aspects of a show’s production as costuming, set design, and tech preparations are all done during the single camp session. Each daily activity period serves as a formal rehearsal. This means that by using rehearsal periods, held over 13 days – the whole production is brought to life.
Girls interested in the Musical Theatre Intensive Program and seeking prominent roles in the summer’s production will need to audition. Auditions may be done live over the telephone or may be taped and then sent to Grier Summer. The director provides interested actresses with audition material
to from which to choose. The musical theatre director encourages all campers participating in the Musical Theatre Program to download the audition and rehearsal tracks to their music devices and to become familiar with these songs. Although auditions are done prior to the start of camp, all final decisions about roles are made by the Director upon campers’ arrival at camp.