3/25/20 - Spring Semester & Virtual Classes
March 25, 2020
Dear Parents & Students:
Let me start by sharing how much we miss having all of our students, faculty and staff on campus! As I have said in other letters, the safety and well-being of the Grier School community and extended families will always be our number one priority. That said, this letter today is meant to accomplish several goals:
- Provide calendar dates and update the school time-line for the spring semester.
- Give directions on how to participate in online/virtual classes beginning on Monday, March 30, 2020.
- Attach copies of the class meeting time schedules and teacher office hours (with explanations).
TIME LINE/SCHOOL CALENDAR UPDATES:
- Online/Virtual Classes begin on Monday, March 30, 2020
- Students may NOT return to campus on April 13, 2020 - the school will use virtual/online classes through the end of the spring semester. Students are not returning to campus for the remainder of the school year.
- The spring musical, dance performance, prom, senior trip, horseshows, and any other on campus events are cancelled for this year.
- AP Exams will take place online. College Board is sending out specific information on testing dates and optional online study support by April 3, 2020. The school will keep all updated via email. The attached link gives you direct access to College Board: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/_about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update
- Juniors and seniors may contact the college counselors (Ms. Cheryl Price firstname.lastname@example.org and Miss Kitty Moyer email@example.com to set up meetings about college concerns.
- Mrs. Davis will be sending out information, to all returning students, regarding scheduling for the fall semester in the next few weeks.
- The traditional graduation ceremony will not take place on campus this year. More information about this subject will be sent out by mid-April.
- The school will not be doing traditional final exams this year.
- All international students living on campus must depart by May 10, 2020.
- The last official day of the school year will be Friday, May 15, 2020.
- Information on packing, shipping, and storing student belongings will be sent out by mid-April.
The Grier School is using an online/virtual classroom protocol for conducting academic classes throughout the remainder of the 2020 school year, beginning on Monday, March 30, 2020 and concluding on Friday, May 15, 2020. Due to the diverse population of our student body, the school is utilizing a class schedule to meet the needs of our students all over the world. For this reason, all online/virtual class times will be recorded as an additional means of sharing classroom instruction. Students may also request a meeting with teachers during office hours one-on-one or in small groups. These online meetings will also be recorded. Parents who are not comfortable with the recording of your child during these class times, please contact me immediately but also understand, by not having your child participate in the virtual classes, the school cannot guarantee the most productive level of learning for your child.
VIRTUAL/ONLINE CLASS DIRECTIONS:
- All students MUST sign up and register for Zoom (an online video learning site) at Zoom.us.
- Students should access their email accounts and check them daily.
- Students will have classes in English (ESL), Math, History, Science, Modern Languages, Psychology, Art History, Art Portfolio, and Computer Science.
- Teachers will send an email to all students in their classes before Monday, March 30th with the link students will need to use for participating in the Zoom classes. (There will be a different link for EACH academic class - ONE FROM EACH OF YOUR TEACHERS ).
- A schedule for your class time is attached to this email. Please review the chart carefully to understand when the class is meeting. Class time is listed as if you are at the Grier School.
- EXAMPLE: If the time is listed at 9-10am (this is EST so in California for example that would be 6am or in China it would be 9pm). Please email your teacher with any questions.
- There may be more than one class section participating in a ZOOM meeting each week. To find when your class is meeting look at the day (each subject meets on a different day, look at the subject and then look at the class period and teacher name).
- EXAMPLE: If Mr. Lang is my English teacher -English meets on Monday —I then find the class period (P2 would mean Period Two from my regular schedule).Looking at the time-that is from 9-10am. This means that my English class will be on Monday from 9-10 am with Mr. Lang and P2,4,5,6-all meeting at the same time on ZOOM. Please email your teacher with questions.
- The other schedule attached to this document is the teacher office hours - students may email or request a Zoom meeting with any teachers during the posted hours (or set up another time if needed).
- Teachers will send regular emails to their students outlining weekly assignments, quizzes, testing or projects. Feel free to contact your teachers with any questions. WE REALIZE MANY STUDENTS DO NOT HAVE THEIR BOOKS SO ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WLL BE PROVIDED BY THE TEACHERS.
ONLINE/VIRTUAL CLASSROOM RULES:
- During all Zoom meetings students/faculty must follow appropriate dress code. (Everyone in the class will be able to see each other).
- During all Zoom meetings students/faculty should be in an area that is conducive to learning (not in a bed, not in a car, not in the bathroom- you get the idea.)
- Students need to participate in all of the online Zoom classes, this will be part of your participation grade for the marking period.
- Just like at school, acceptable internet usage policy applies as well as appropriate behavior (foul language, inappropriate texting, or disruptive behavior) will NOT be tolerated. If an issue occurs, the teacher will notify Mrs. Borst, and I will notify your parents.
I realize this is a scary, sad, and very confusing time for everyone (students and adults). I also know you are all strong, bright, resilient and caring people who will come together to help each other out and make the most of this unprecedented crisis impacting all of us right now. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, feel free to contact me with any questions and Happy First Day of Virtual Classes on Monday!
Mrs. Gina Borst
Head of School